Saturday, February 11, 2012

Pilgrimage #5: Big Sugar Bakeshop - A Valentine Special!

Sweet details of this week's location here:  http://www.bigsugarbakeshop.com/



A good day to you all, Foodster followers!

AND NOW for something completely different! But, Monty Python references aside...

This week's pilgrimage actually is different from past treks. It's smaller, sweeter and a bit more colorful. Curious? Well, without further ado, I present a Valentine's edition post dedicated to...

Big Sugar Bakeshop of Studio City!

I'll be honest, today I was strolling along Ventura Blvd., always a lovely adventure, looking for a place to lunch, and came across some signage:



Super cute, yes? NOW, honestly again, I am not the biggest fan of Valentine's Day. However...I am a fan of cupcakes. So this place had me baited.

Inside, the small location was well utilized, decorated with nic nacs like coffee cups, aprons, and other fun items for purchase, and then this beauty:



Tell me, is that not one of the most decadently beautiful things ever witnessed? Well, needless to say, it took me quite some time to make up my mind. And the owner was so kind to let me snap a few more pics while I browsed. Here are a few! Check out captions for details:


Valentine's goody display.
Heart-shaped, sugary cookies


Some wordy, lovey cupcakes!

Malted chocolate ramekins.

The mini cupcakes from the super cute chalkboard sign!

Now, at this point, I was still trying to make up my mind. Here were some of my narrowed-down decisions:

1. The Chococinno Cupcake - a coffee/chocolate lovechild. May I just say that coffee and chocolate are two of my great loves, so this one almost got me.



2. Chocolate with Mint Buttercream Cupcake - Also, any combination of butter and cream always tugs at my tummy strings. So close...



3. Boston Creme Cupcake - with a fluffy cloud of coconut atop it. *drool* Getting warmer now. What could possibly make me more decisive?

4. Seven Layer Bar **THE WINNER!** - Of course! My choices are always off the beaten path, for I did not pick a cupcake at all!


Once they explained to me all the ingredients in this square chunk of heaven, I KNEW my decision was made. A base layer of graham crackers, a chocolate layer, butterscotch chips, white chocolate chips, shredded coconut, lightly toasted on top, and I know there should be more, but I spaced out because my brain had a delici-spasm...

And let it be known that it not only looked like awesomeness, but tasted like it as well. Crumbly, sweet, with the nice finish of toasted coconut at the end of each bite, and the occasional burst of flavor from a butterscotch chip. Quite a nice snack.



And while checking out my purchase, I also got me one of these:


BUTTON!!
Because, for all who don't know the Foodster personally, I have a massive love for buttons. :) Have over 100 of 'em. Yep.
So, readers, you still have a few days til the big day! If you want to get your special someone a sweet treat, or just treat yourself (because we singles need cupcakes too...), I would definitely recommend a trip to Big Sugar Bakeshop.

And expect another eatery review next week, since you've all had two weeks of recipes from me. I don't know what it will be yet, but I'm already excited!

Until next time, Happy Eatings!

Yours,
The Lone Foodster

**P.S. Price Breakdown: my bar was $2.95, and was quite a good size. Easily sharable, or save half for later! Most of their treats revolve around this price, unless you order a whole cake.

***P.P.S. Cool bit of news! See that carefully selected quote from Virginia Woolf along the top right side the blog page? That was lovingly chosen at the creation of this blog in November. Just so happens, Trader Joe's Fearless Flyer for this month has used the same quote! Seems my favorite store and I have a connected brainwave going on. :)
  
Big Sugar Bakeshop on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment