Thursday, April 19, 2012

Pilgrimage #8: Republic of Pie

Learn more about this week's location here: http://www.republicofpie.com/

And on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=719544129#!/Republicofpie



Hello again, Foodster followers!

Can I say how lovely it was to finally go to a new restaurant? It has been far too long since I've had a nice sit-down meal. And I had such a pretty spring day in which to do it.

I've been wanting to go to this week's location for several weeks now, and woooow was I pleased with my visit. So I'll jump right in! Announcing this week's pilgrimage: nestled in the art district, North Hollywood's very own "Republic of Pie."

This place got me right from the start. Upon walking in, I was greeted with a wood and brick, cozy atmosphere complete with a few comfy couches. A real coffeehouse vibe. Appropriately so, because RoP also serves coffee and specialty lattes.



But onto the food! I spent a LONG time making up my mind. I knew I wanted one sweet and one savory choice of pie. And they had a bundle of choices.



The lady at the register was super kind and very helpful with her descriptions of some of the most popular dishes. At one point, a few of the chefsactually came and talked to me too! Here were some of the options I was given:

Case of pie!


One of the specials: "Meatloaf Bundles"


Chicken, veggie, and beef pot pies


Fruit cups


Veggie Quiche


"Naked" quiche, with no crust


Pun'kin pah


Banana Coconut Cream


Coconut Custard (almost got this one!)


Deep Dish Apple



Rum Raisin Bread Pudding (my eventual choice)


In the end, I was told their "pie of the day" was "Turkey Sloppy Joe" pot pie, and they only had one left. If you don't know this about the Foodster, I take that as a sign. So the sloppy joe pie it was!

And as for my sweet choice, the "Rum Raisin Bread Pudding" pie was described in a way that I simply could not pass up. And as you know, my readers, this southerner has a weakspot for bread pudding. Behold the dynamic duo:



The sloppy joe pot pie (technically more of a cup pie, haha) was delicious-looking from the get go. A fluffy, buttery bun was perched atop the meaty, tomato-y filling, already soaking up some of the flavor. And between the filling and the bun was also a light layer of cheddar cheese.



Just. Too. Good. Seriously. This sloppy joe for grown-ups, as I called it, wasn't just super tasty, but it was wonderfully nostalgic. It's been a while since I've indulged in a sloppy joe, and what a fantastically unique way to revisit it! The filling was tangy and flavorful and the bun was perfect for pairing with the bites. I honestly ate it down to the bottom of the cup, holding myself back from picking at the cheese baked to the rim :)

Now for the bread pudding pie. The staff suggested it be eaten warm, and gladly warmed the slice for me. The sugary topping had melted slightly, and beautifully dripped down the sides, effectively coating each potential bite.



And another WIN. The topping reminded me of what we in the south call "praline" sauce, probably  made with a good amount of butter and sugar, and of course rum in this case. The pie itself was moist and sweet, and truthfully very hard to put into words! And the raisins throughout were a perfect traditional compliment. I made myself finish only half so I could take the rest home to enjoy for later!

Om nom nom!


*Price Breakdown* Since it had been a while since my last restaurant experience, I did let myself spend a bit more than usual. But Republic of Pie is, all in all, fairly affordable. My very filling pot pie came with a side of greens and balsamic vinaigrette for $6.75.  And the sizable slice of bread pudding pie was $4.75. Worth every cent.

So, final consensus - I love this place! Can't you tell? Haha. The location is great, especially if you love the NoHo arts district. It's in a strip alongside several clothes stores and other eateries, with great outside seating, very enjoyable on pretty spring days such as this one. I can't wait to return, and bring friends! I look forward to working my way through the menu. So see you soon RoP! Thanks for the treats :)



Don't know if it will be a new eatery or a new recipe next week, Foodsters. But I hope you tune in to find out! Until then, as always, Happy Eatings!

Yours,
The Lone Foodster
Republic of Pie on Urbanspoon
**P.S. I can't express how grateful I am to the readers who've helped TLF to reach 12,000 views so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment