Thursday, July 26, 2012

Pilgrimage #14: Sugarfish

Clicky here for info on this week's eatery: http://sugarfishsushi.com/our-locations/studio-city



Hello and happy Restaurant Week, Foodster followers!

Yes, yes, it is the end of 'dineLA' Restaurant Week here in, well, LA. Tons of notable eateries offered lunch and dinner deals on their menus in celebration. It was a prime time for the budget conscious to get a taste of the finer things.

And I'll tell you what my personal favorite finer thing is -- sushi.

I grew up in south Louisiana, where fish was generally preferred fried. Unlike the south, Los Angeles has no shortage of sushi joints, and many are spectacular. So it took the reccommendation of one of my longtime family friends (and LA resident), codename Miss J, to guide me to a real gem.

Sugarfish originally started as Sushi Nozawa, whose namesake chef and his "trust me" method of food preparation and service was legendary. And while Sugarfish now has a few locations, we visited the first and original, the Studio City location.

First, the interior. Cute, cozy and intimate.



The special 'Restaurant Week' menu:



We each decided on the $20 lunch. A bargain for the delish fish we were served. First came the edamame appetizer. With fresh ginger and wasabi.



Next, tangy, incredibly fresh tuna sashimi with scallions in Ponzu sauce.



Then, the individual pieces of sushi. Albacore, salmon, yellowtail, and scallop.



The albacore just melted away into a lovely pudding. The salmon was really complimented by the sprinkling of sesame seeds. The yellowtail had a slight citrus flavor that was very refreshing, and the scallop was like creamy butter. Favorite was albacore, but all were just delicious. A true display of how sushi is meant to be; devoid of the fancy sauces, and exaggerated rolls. Just the rice, fish, and the taste of the two. Bliss.

Next were the two handrolls, the toro (aka fatty tuna) and blue crab. Please forgive me, I only managed to remember to take the pic of the toro handroll. The blue crab was formed the same way, just with a different fish.



The rice was just slightly warm, and the toro nice and chilled inside the seaweed roll. With just a dab in our soy sauce, it was a light and tasty joy.

The blue crab (sorry again, no pic) was probably one of my favorite parts of the meal. Perhaps I'm biased because of my Louisiana roots, but biting into the crab roll was literally a taste of nostalgia. Just like seafood season in the springtime when we'd gather to boil pounds of fresh crab. Real crab. It tasted like happy times.

Although I did not get to meet the notorious Chef Nozawa, I did get to see a wall of his admirers' gifts to him and his legendary "trust me" method.



And we left Sugarfish indeed happy that afternoon. So happy, we made a spontaneous decision to go hiking, and enjoyed the ridiculously amazing views LA has to offer.



I look forward to the day I do get to meet him, if it comes. And thank him for keeping this one finer thing I enjoy in my life a true art.

Seriously. If you enjoy authentic sushi done right, go to Sugarfish soon, and you won't leave disappointed.

And until next time, I wish you Happy Eatings!

Yours,
The Lone Foodster


Sugarfish By Sushi Nozawa on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Yep, Lone Foodster,
    That was a lovely lunch, indeed! I was happy to take you to Sugarfish, and am happy that you enjoyed & appreciated the purity of this sushi gem-of-a-place.
    Miss J

    ReplyDelete